About Our Analytics Audits
Whether you’re migrating a website, setting up an analytics platform, or doubting the accuracy of reports, a professional analytics audit gets things back on track and ensures reliable and actionable insights for your organization.
Learn more below about what’s covered in our audits, how pricing works, and why an audit by Empirical Path stands apart from the rest. Download our Analytics Audit Quick Reference Guide for a list of our analytics checkpoints.
- When to Audit?
- Audit Types
- Our Audit Process
- Audit Pricing
Why Audit Your Analytics And When?
It’s rare to find an analytics implementation that isn’t leaking data, double counting, or missing out on meaningful captures. There are many times when an analytics audit makes sense. We recommend our thorough top-to-bottom advanced analytics audit any time you go through a website migration, make significant changes to your tracking setup or platform, or know that it’s simply been a while. Download our Analytics Audit checkpoints (pdf).
Types: Basic, Advanced, Ecommerce, and 360 Audits to Fit Your Needs
Because one size doesn’t fit all, we offer variations of our analytics audit to suit the needs of your organization. Our analytics audits cover Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, and other popular platforms. We also audit & repair specialized analytics technologies like Firebase, Mixpanel, Amplitude, Segment, Google Tag Manager, Tealium and others.
- Our Basic Audit covers the essentials needed for a minimal implementation. It’s perfect for a small-to-medium content site where budget is limited, or if you are just getting started with analytics or need a quick check-up.
- The Advanced Analytics Audit is our standard offering and where most of our clients begin. The Advanced Audit is well-suited for websites of any size or complexity. This audit covers everything in basic plus twice as many additional checkpoints across all categories.
- Enhanced Ecommerce (EEC) Audit: While our advanced audit covers transactional websites and standard ecommerce tracking, our EEC Audit add-on supplements with additional checkpoints like internal promotions and reconciliation of transaction data sets.
- Google Analytics 360 Audit: This audit add-on covers all the checkpoints necessary to ensure you get the most from your investment, including qualification for enhanced 360 features and integrations with additional tools & data sets (eg, Big Query and Campaign platforms).
Process: Our Analytics Audits Are Meticulous And Thorough
We take our audits seriously because they provide that foundational first step for ongoing measurement success.
- Before work begins, we sit down with your team and ensure complete understanding of your business context, reporting needs, and known or suspected issues.
- Our team of fully certified and experienced consultants dive in and employ a combination of automated scanning tools and meticulous, feature-by-feature validations of your website & tracking mechanisms.
- We document all our findings in a detailed report (8-12 pages) and propose actionable remediation for each trouble spot alongside impact scoring and level of effort (LOE) estimates for easy planning.
- Finally, we walk through the report with your team to ensure everyone understands the findings and next steps.
Depending on complexity, an audit can take 4-6 weeks with time allotted for discovery and follow up.
Pricing: Investing in Insight
An analytics audit is the first and most important step toward generating consistent and reliable insights from your web property. Our audits are thorough, precise, and always handled by experienced and fully certified professionals, often with first-hand industry experience relevant to your business.
- Our Basic Audits are affordably priced for budget-conscious organizations just getting started with their analytics implementation or who just need a quick check-up.
- Our Advanced Audits are roughly twice the cost of Basic but includes three times as many checkpoints as Basic. This is by far our most popular option.
- Our audit add-ons–Enhanced Ecommerce and Analytics 360–each add modest amounts on top of the Advanced Audit base pricing.
We’re always happy to work with you on custom pricing for multiple sites or complex setups. Reach out to one of our experts to talk about taking next steps toward analytics ROI.
- Account Structure
- Tracking Code Coverage
- Behavior & Conversion
- Privacy & Compliance
Account Structure: For Governance & Manageability
Even the best-laid plans for analytics account structure, governance, and user authorizations can quickly go awry. Empirical Path clients benefit from getting the fundamentals in place, including account hierarchies, naming conventions, and best practices for backed up data. But, we go beyond the basics and help your team consider optimal account configuration for avoiding high sampling rates and remaining below hit limits allowed by your license. We provide your team with specific, actionable guidance for setting up your analytics account for long-term reporting success.
Tracking Code Coverage: For Reliable & Complete Coverage
Tracking code implementation makes or breaks even the simplest of analytics setups. We see it all the time—advanced measurement & reporting schemes built on outdated or inconsistent tracking code. At the beginning of any audit, our consultants roll up their sleeves and dig deep into your tracking deployments to ensure complete coverage, singular counting, and correct cross-domain measurement. We start by scanning your site with premium tools but then go further and apply our expertise in manual exploration of hidden problems that tools sometimes miss. We give you a coverage report along with specific, actionable recommendations for tracking 100% of your targeted data.
Behavior & Conversion: Measure what makes a successful visit
Great! Your marketing efforts are driving visitors to your website. But are those visitors engaging with your content and converting? And, which content or features are doing all the heavy lifting? Here, our seasoned analytics experts consider the particular aims and objectives of your website and identify gaps and inconsistencies in your tracking of site usage. Since just about any interaction can be tracked, our consultants help you avoid drowning in data by focusing on which user events and goals will be the most meaningful.
Segmentation: More Signal. Less Noise
In analytics, segmentation is where the magic happens. Problem is, so few organizations get it right or understand what’s even possible. Our segmentation experts know what to look for in different types of sites and bring their years of experience in media, ecommerce, tech, and mobile to recommendations that fit your audience characteristics.
Attribution: Campaign Tracking & ROI
Before any marketing or multi-touch attribution modeling can be explored, customer lifecycle touchpoints have to be identified, tracked, and categorized consistently. We do more than just look at what you’re tracking now; we go beyond existing data to look at what you’re not tracking yet. We identify gaps, inconsistencies, and missed opportunities in your Google Analytics data as well as organic search and advertising data sets. Then, we propose specific changes you can make to construct actionable, comprehensive views of your marketing mix and channel performance.
Reporting: Surface Actionable Insights
Our reporting checkpoints look for inconsistencies and missed opportunities particularly in areas where custom data, calculated metrics, third-party feeds, and bespoke reports can best surface actionable insights. As with our other checkpoints, we don’t just focus on your existing data. Rather, we consider which custom reporting features will best capture and portray the unique traits and characteristics of your audience behaviors.
Privacy Compliance: Protect Your Customers and Avoid Penalties
While some agencies and organizations are just catching up with privacy & compliance, we have always included checkpoints in our audits for catching infractions that might jeopardize your relationship with your audience, your data privacy officer, analytics vendor, or even government agencies. Legislation like GDPR and CCPA means enforcement is on the rise and that protecting your users and organization is more important than ever. We help you and your legal counsel understand where your current analytics implementation falls on a risk spectrum, so you can decide how to proceed. We flag any suspect data and provide specific guidance on remediation. We thoroughly review account-level settings and evaluate the effectiveness of consent mechanisms you are considering or have in-place.
Analytics Audit Add-ons
While our standard list of analytics audit checkpoints covers a majority of websites, we do offer additional add-ons that make sense for clients with more advanced ecommerce tracking setups and for clients with Analytics 360 licenses.
Enhanced Ecommerce (EEC) Audit Checkpoints
Because of the complex requirements and considerations unique to ecommerce sites, we offer these checkpoints in a separate add-on audit package designed to validate and reconcile the numbers you see in your analytics tool with those reported by your transactional and customer databases.
Our expert consultants are industry veterans with years of experience working inside top, luxury, retail, and B2B brand names. They are uniquely qualified to help your team trust your ecommerce reports.
Analytics 360 Audit Checkpoints
The Google Analytics 360 Checkpoints are a supplement on top of everything covered in the basic and advanced analytics audits. We ensure you are getting the most from Google’s premium analytics tool, and we confirm you are taking advantage of powerful features that often go overlooked and unclaimed.
We evaluate your eligibility and help you qualify for exclusive 360 features, and we identify value-added integrations with other tools from Google and third-parties. Our long history as a Google Partner with proven Analytics 360 implementations means we are uniquely qualified to help you see analytics ROI faster.
Analytics Audits Case Studies
Client praises our Google Analytics work
Read about one client’s eye-opening audit and the analytics enhancements it inspired
Fitness site gets in shape
Learn about how a fitness equipment maker started collecting accurate and attributable e-commerce data
Video plays sheds light on conversions
Read about how a automaker client delivered the needed insights into visitor behavior